On August 18 (local time), Engineering News-Record (ENR) announced the list of 2021 Top 250 International Contractors. Shanghai Electric ranked No.51 overall and No.4 in the category of state-owned power engineering enterprises.
The ENR list ranks global construction companies based on revenue generated by their overseas projects each year. For the ranking in 2021, Shanghai Electric reported 22 overseas projects in total. In particular, thanks to the Dubai CSP, Pakistan's Thar Block-1 Integrated Coal Mine and Power Project, Serbia's Pan?evo Gas Turbine Project, and Vietnam's Forte PV Project, Shanghai Electric is honored to secure the highest rank in history and sees the biggest jump among its Chinese peers this year.
Amid the global outbreak of COVID-19 in 2020, Shanghai Electric overcame unprecedented pressure and spared all efforts to promote the progress of overseas projects, which leads to continued growth in the revenue from overseas projects. ENR reported that the new international contracts signed by the Top 250 companies in 2020 were worth USD 520.4 billion, a decrease of 17% from 2019; and the total international contracting revenue dropped 11.1% from 2019 to USD 420.4 billion. Among the 229 companies that have been on the list for two consecutive years in 2020 and 2021, 36.7% saw an increase in international turnover, and the rest 63.3% experienced a decline in performance.
This year, a total of 78 mainland Chinese companies made the list, and five of them are in the field of power engineering - they are, Power China, Energy China, SINOMACH, Shanghai Electric, and China Zhongyuan Engineering. Judging by region, Chinese companies have greatly expanded their market share in the Middle East to 34%, ranking first, with 5 companies including Shanghai Electric listed.
Engineering News-Record (ENR) is hailed as the most authoritative academic magazine in the global sector of engineering construction, and is affiliated to the US-based company McGraw-Hill. ENR provides the engineering and construction news, analysis, commentary and data. Its audience includes contractors, project owners, engineers, architects, government regulators and industry suppliers around the world. The rankings published by ENR enjoy world-class influence and are widely considered the industry barometer that demonstrates the development of the international engineering market each year.